Urbanization of the surrounding area to the cementery of Girona
Project dossier written in:
- January 2009
- April 2009
- January 2010
- Josep Maria Fortià, architect
- Josep Maria Fortià, architect; Rosa Cánovas, architect (Girona Town Council)
- Eduard Bonmatí and Arnau Blancafort, quantity surveyors
- Novantia S.L.
- Ayuntamiento de Girona
The City Council of Girona promoted the renovation of the historic perimeter wall of the cementery of Girona, which was originally the work of Rafael Masó, as a building work of the Fons Estatal d’Inversió Local (State investment funds).
The wall of the cementery in Girona was the last work in the Noucentista style period of the architect Rafael Masó. It was built between the years 1917 and 1919, and it is full of symbolic elements which refer to theological and liturgical elements.
The intervention proposal on the wall had two main objectives: In the first place, to give it its own value, giving a new emphasis to its patrimonial value: the textures on the stone wall and the ceramic elements, the symbolism of its sculptural reliefs, the composition of the black clay... Secondly, the aim was to emphasise the essential characteristics of the wall by treating its surroundings, such as a wide walking path and a selective illumination of the different elements.
It was proposed to carry out the general work in three phases: the first one being the section of the walking path which was renewed with the creation of a new avenue for pedestrians and the construction a retaining wall with a rail and illumination. The following phases contemplated a renovation of the main gate, the interior and exterior features of the wall. The lateral gates were also restored and, ultimately, illumination on the outside of the wall was installed.
In these revamping works on the public spaces in the surroundings there were improvements on the accessibility and at the same time they boosted the enjoyment of the area for the citizens. A walking path was built, presenting a new section with a narrower road and recovering the use of the riverside as a path for pedestrians.